
Hundreds of people turned out at Auschwitz-Birkenau to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the liquidation of the so-called Gypsy Camp at Birkenau. The sun beat down on the assembled survivors, politicans, Romany community members, representatives of the diplomatic corps, and on-lookers as we marked the solemn occasion.
I met Ms. Luise Backer (Camp Number Z-2800) who survived internment here (she was transferred away), but lost most of her family and was here to remember them and speak on behalf of the silent. Her speech, in which she described her experience, is familiar but has not yet lost its poignancy. I trembled in her presence and could find no words when she insisted on showing me her number, still tattooed on her 80-year-old arm.
To paraphrase the famous Polish theoretician and author, Jan Kott, "Tadeusz Borowski once wrote "the living are always right, the dead are always wrong"...that is optimistic. If that is so, then everything is finally justified...but the story of Borowski's life and what he wrote and we know about Auschwitz is that the dead are right, and not the living."
I was proud to place a wreath at the monument on behalf of my country and although I had no speeches to make, I hope my presence represented well the thoughts and prayers of my countrymen. Going to Auschwitz is always hard. But knowing I am there to represent the rest of us, flying the flag of my country so that all know that we are there, is an honor, not just a duty. Among my colleagues from Austria, Germany, France, Belgium, Slovakia, etc, I know Ms. Backer, like the other survivors I have met in my time, will be with me always.
Sorry for the glum posting. Not all of our presence here is cocktail parties, consumer electronics (see below) and family life, and I thought I would share. However, on the up side, the drive through the forests and fields of the region down to Oświęcim (where the camps are located) is beautiful. Along the way, one can see medieval cloisters, monasteries, wooden churches, and 500-year-old homes. I know you are waiting for the tourism part of the blog to start...be patient, we are still getting our feet.
I met Ms. Luise Backer (Camp Number Z-2800) who survived internment here (she was transferred away), but lost most of her family and was here to remember them and speak on behalf of the silent. Her speech, in which she described her experience, is familiar but has not yet lost its poignancy. I trembled in her presence and could find no words when she insisted on showing me her number, still tattooed on her 80-year-old arm.
To paraphrase the famous Polish theoretician and author, Jan Kott, "Tadeusz Borowski once wrote "the living are always right, the dead are always wrong"...that is optimistic. If that is so, then everything is finally justified...but the story of Borowski's life and what he wrote and we know about Auschwitz is that the dead are right, and not the living."
I was proud to place a wreath at the monument on behalf of my country and although I had no speeches to make, I hope my presence represented well the thoughts and prayers of my countrymen. Going to Auschwitz is always hard. But knowing I am there to represent the rest of us, flying the flag of my country so that all know that we are there, is an honor, not just a duty. Among my colleagues from Austria, Germany, France, Belgium, Slovakia, etc, I know Ms. Backer, like the other survivors I have met in my time, will be with me always.
Sorry for the glum posting. Not all of our presence here is cocktail parties, consumer electronics (see below) and family life, and I thought I would share. However, on the up side, the drive through the forests and fields of the region down to Oświęcim (where the camps are located) is beautiful. Along the way, one can see medieval cloisters, monasteries, wooden churches, and 500-year-old homes. I know you are waiting for the tourism part of the blog to start...be patient, we are still getting our feet.
Reading about the camps always tears me up. Nicely put, Mr. Vick.
ReplyDelete