Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Great Pickle Experiment

We arrived in Poland on a Friday. On Monday morning (yes, not even 72 hours later) the neighbors took Megan and Barbara off to the neighborhood open-air market and other places we just "had" to know about. During this adventure Pani Maria explained how to make pickles, Polish style. Three weeks later we finally attempted it.

The pickle pot. Bigger than it appears and weighs a ton.

Cucumbers, garlic, horseradish and dill.

Megan scrubbing cucumbers.

A funny-shaped cucumber.

Megan washing the dill.

Beginning.

Middle.

End.

A most important ingredient.

Megan shaking up the brine
(1 L water + 1 heaping tablespoon of salt.)

Now we wait.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm excited to see how your pickles turn out. How long do you have to wait until they're, well, pickled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is supposed to take five days or to taste. I wonder who will test?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum I can smell them from here. Eat one for us XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum I can smell them from here. Eat one for us :)

    ReplyDelete