So, Rymanów is in southeastern Poland, in the Podkarpackie Region (meaning literally "under the Carpathians", a mountain range further to the south.) At the link is a picture of this picturesque miasteczko (little city). In Rymanów a robust Jewish community lived side by side with the Polish community for 400 years. Until the Nazis transported them away. Many Polish families and individuals tried to hide and protect their friends. Many of them were caught and shared their fate.
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/2066431.jpg
And, at the Jewish cementary we also held services and prayers (lead by a priest and a rabbi) to commemorate the awful events so that no one shall forget. And yes, I know I have my hands in my pockets...but this pose was necessary so that I wouldn't be grabbing at my yarmulke all the time, as the wind was blowing and it felt like I was going to lose it even when I didn't. The priest was super, conducting a memorial mass commemorating the loss of the Jewish community and reminding the congregation that "there is no love like the love of a friend who is willing to give his life to save his friend." There were many friends in Rymanów in 1944.
On the lighter side of the occasion, there was a great concert of klezmer music the night before at the hotel http://www.jas-wedrowniczek.pl/en/ .
Yeah, yeah...I know what you are thinking... "yay, klezmer music!" Yes, even you, Joel! However, anyone that knows me knows I am a critic. Well...I was blown away. Words fail me. One word is all you need to know. Kroke. It is Yiddish for "Krakow". I sat 10 feet from this group for an hour and they are incredible. A fusion of Klezmer and Jazz, ranging from folk music to new age jazz (of which I am normally not a fan). They played without a drummer, and were better for it. You can't judge them by this piece...but look at the crowd. Listen to the vocals at 3:23 + . Look them up on I-tunes or Rhapsody. This is not your grandpa's shtetl!
Jeff - you are having some wonderful experiences in Krakow. You are an awesome writer and I am trying to visit the site often! Judy
ReplyDeleteWhat a great group! I may have to expand my music collection to include Kroke. It would be great fun to be there in person. --- Mom
ReplyDeleteWow -- Sholem Aleichem meets Pat Metheny. I ain't NEVER heard klezmer like that before! Need to find them on I-tunes....
ReplyDelete