Sunday, June 6, 2010

Vivat! Long Live the Rooster King

One of the first ceremonies I attended in Krakow was actually a shooting competition sponsored by the Brotherhood of the Rooster a 750-year-old historic fraternity in Krakow. The competition was between the honored guests of the match, and I lost to the Minister of Defense, Bogdan Klich. Fair enough. He is a Minister after all. That's me below, hovering in the left edge of the photo trying to be a good sport!


In the center of the photo is the Rector of the Jagellonian University, who actually won the whole thing this year (I think it is rigged ;-)).

Nonetheless, we shot again this May and there is now a new King of the Brotherhood. Allen, Haruko and I were lucky to be in the crowd for this hallowed and solemn enthronement, on the main square. The six hour ceremony started at another part of town, included several parades and processionals. We attended the crowning ceremony.

Attended by the Mayor and other city officials, the King was crowned, and many black-powder weapons were fired. In fact, this ancient club loves shooting its weapons and having a brew. Not necessarily in that order. I do love history.

No comments:

Post a Comment