Saturday, April 24, 2010

Thank You


I just have to say thank you to a few people for helping us survive the last week and a half. 

I was medevaced to London on the evening of the 13 April -- not nearly as exciting as it sounds. I walked on and off the plane, took the train in from Heathrow, got myself to the doctor the next day, etc. Not an ambulance to speak of. So far, tests have come back showing nothing dire, and I am on new meds which seem to have solved much of the stomach and abdominal pain issues.

The big issue was, I wasn't able to return until the evening of 22 April.

Because of the volcano. Ya know, Eyjafjallajökull. The one spitting out prodigious amounts of ash.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

So while Jeff was dealing with Megan, Ennis and preparation for a POTUS visit I was stressing out in London wondering when I could get home and worrying about how everyone was doing back here in Krakow.

I really shouldn't have worried.

Because our legion of friends stepped up and made sure everything was okay.

Thank you Tracey, for basically becoming Megan's second mother. For making sure she did her homework, listening to her worries, feeding her dinner, etc. All while single-parenting Alex because Tony was stuck in the States. Another victim of Eyjafjallajökull.

Thank you Cricket, for moving in to our house, taking care of Ennis so stupendously and becoming a de facto big sister to Megan.

Thank you Patty and Wayne, for dog sitting Ennis for the weekend, for helping to arrange meal deliveries and your continual admonishments to me to calm down and not stress about how things were going in Krakow. I should have listened.

Thank you Anne, Radana, Haruko, Katya and Angel, for the dinners you sent over, the fresh fruit and bread you dropped off. I didn't have to cook the evening I came home (or the night after...or tonight!)  which was very very nice!

Thank you Olga, Ian and Andrea, for offers of places to stay when it looked like I was going to either be spending more time in the U.K. or was debating a journey home by train.

Thank you Anne, for calling to check in. It was great to hear a familiar voice.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone. It is an omission based on fatigue and not an intentional slight.

You all stepped up and took care of us.

'Thank you' doesn't seem sufficient but it's all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment