While in London on Medevac, between tests and frantically trying to figure out a way home overland when the airports appeared to be closed for the long term, I managed to have some fun.
My hotel was very close to Regent's Park.
One afternoon, Irina (a friend I'd last seen in Russia almost 4 years ago) came into town from Winchester. She brought along her girls, Katrina and Lena, plus one of Lena's friends, Josie. Megan and Lena used to be in the same preschool in St. Petersburg. Too bad Megan wasn't with me -- I think she would have had a good time with the girls! We all went to the Zoo and then wandered Regent's Park -- what a nice way to catch up...and the animals kept the girls occupied while Irina and I chatted.
Josie, Lena and Katrina checking out a fountain in Regent's Park.
And because, honestly, is there anything lovelier than an English garden in the Spring!?!...several photos of flowers at Regent's Park.
Then one afternoon, a former co-worker who has the misfortune of having retired in London (ahem!) came to take me to lunch and then whisked me off to see his new flat. Which is very nice indeed.
Here is John e-mailing Carolyn (who worked with both of us) to ask her to guess with whom he's having tea in Battersea! The correct answer was ME!
But keeping a somber note on things, this was the scene also not far from my hotel.
Every time I walked by there were more flowers and more tributes.







The world is quite large and quite small at the same time. :-)
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteOh my: I hadn't looked at your blog for awhile, and was shocked to hear about your medavac episode! Hope all is well with you now?
Hugs,
Tracy
You saw Irina. Amazing!! I would have loved to have seen her too. How is she doing? how was Lena? Do the girls still speak Russian? LOVED your English flower pics. Indulging in a touch of nostalgia XXXX
ReplyDelete