We started the day at the market near the National Museum -- think a flea market for anything (new and used) you want or need for winter sports. Megan scored ski poles, a helmet, gloves and a balaclava. Jeff picked up some gloves -- he bought his new ski boots there yesterday while Megan and I were busy with Art Station.
Then it was on to the Christmas Market in the main square for lunch. We enjoyed some live music compliments of this band while munching on grilled kielbasa and grilled cheese. Yum!After lunch we wandered the market stalls while Megan made some important purchases, including picking her ornament for this year. Then we all started getting cold.
Next stop Decathlon for new winter boots for Megan. While Megan and Jeff were finishing the transaction inside I darted out to get a photo of the Christmas tree stand outside of Carrefour.
I swear, choinki might just be my favorite Polish word. For some reason it always makes me smile when I say it. Lame, I know.
Once you choose your tree they shove it through this barrel where it is encased in netting (see the trees in the background.) Then it is much easier to carry home.
Finally, here is the carp tent outside of Carrefour. There are huge bins of live carp inside Carrefour as well. Carp has an important part to play in Wigilia. I however cannot get over thinking of it as a 'throw away' fish...
So, Barb, what does Choinki mean? This Polish is beyond mind boggling for me. But it sure is fun to see the words.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom