Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Saga of the Yellow Bags

I came home on Tuesday to find five (!) yellow bags had been thrown over my fence.

"Great," you say, "People are throwing trash in your yard!?!?

But noooooooo.

I have been trying to obtain these yellow bags for the last three months...let me explain.

When we arrived in July we were told that there is recycling here: you can drop off at the pods located throughout the city OR you can actually have it picked up from your home. You just need to place the all important yellow bag outside your fence on the appointed day for your neighborhood and the bags would be whisked away and replaced with new (empty) ones.

Cool. Right?

Just one hitch.

We didn't have any yellow bags in the house or garage. And the system is set up so you can easily get yellow bags if you already have them -- by placing the full ones outside on the third Friday of the month (for our neighborhood). But obtaining that first set of yellow bags took a few months and who knows how many phone calls (thank you, Agnieszka at the Consulate!)

So here's the bag (it is actually about 4 feet high):


Why was I so gung-ho on this issue? Aside from feeling ill every time I had to pitch plastic or metal or glass in the trash and getting tired of schlepping bags of water bottles to the neighborhood pods...these are our trash cans.

We have trash pick-up every other week. Yes, twice a month.

In Virginia we were spoiled. We had trash pick-up twice a week.

For reference I took a photo with our honkin' big American kitchen trash can to demonstrate the size of the garbage cans here.

It is a good thing that there is much less product packaging here or we'd be in big trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment