Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Cousiño-Macul


While Jan was visiting
(way back in October...yes, I am woefully behind in posting...apologies. 
Now let's move on.)
we visited the Cousiño-Macul winery.



The very first Chilean wine I ever tasted, way back in the olden days when I was at U of M, was a Cabernet Saugvignon from Cousiño-Macul so it was very cool to visit the vineyard.




When the winery came into existence in the mid-18th century it was outside of Santiago; nowadays they are well within the city sprawl and they have sold off acreage and produce most of their wines at another vineyard south of the city. Only a couple varieties of grapes are processed at the original location...grapes that are delicate and would not fare well being trucked to another location.

Cousiño-Macul has no restaurant or any other bells and whistles but it has a lot of charm.


We had been told the only option was the Spanish tour but when we arrived they'd added a last minute English tour.





Shipping label stencils


Bottling

Corking

The modern equipment


The cellars



No comments:

Post a Comment