Monday, April 7, 2014

Walking the Dogs


In between Curly's departure and Leroy's arrival I started volunteering at a local shelter.
I go once a week and with other volunteers, walk a pack of dogs up a hill (*cough* small mountain *cough*) and then back down.
I come home exhausted and covered in dirt/dust and dog slobber.
Fun Times!
 

 
At the top is a reservoir which is mostly dry due to the ongoing drought.
There are also watering stations for the dog.

The dogs race around and sniff and pee and have a great time.


 
Cocoa -- she's got personality!
 
William was a little warm...and cooled off in the mud.

Down is just as much of a workout.
The hill (*cough* small mountain *cough*) is very steep.

You have to dodge big cacti at times as loose dirt/rock make the descent tricky.
 
On my first time down I managed to slide into a bush.
Just a regular bush...no thornes or anything.
I ended up with this on my leg:
 
Lovely, especially since we were attending a wedding 2 days later.
I learned my lesson to wear long pants and hiking boots.

Thank goodness she's white so we can keep track of her!
 
This is Pepper.
She cracks me up.

This is Harry Potter.
He's an absolute love, and I cannot figure out how he stays looking so nice.
 
Overall the shelter is a good place...no funky smells, there is a caretaker and his family who live on-site, the cages are roomy and most have more than one dog so they have company, there is enough food and a vet sits on the Board of the organization.
 
The one thing they really need right now are some more dog houses and blankets/beds to help keep the dogs warm through the winter.
If anyone wants to donate just let me know! 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment