Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wrocław


We spent the last few days in Wrocław.

Jeff had a couple of meetings scheduled, Megan was at the tail end of her Spring Break and neither she nor I had been to the city.

Road trip ahoy!

 We stayed at The Granary -- very nice and good location, within walking distance to the Old Town and a great park.

Megan and I checked out the park on Friday afternoon while Jeff was at his meetings. She initially didn't want to go but I dragged her to it. We found, tucked into a back corner, an awesome playground that made me think it was designed by Tim Burton.

 Yes, the ground is actually made into rolling hills.


We went back every day we were in town.

We also checked out the Rynek -- the second largest after Krakow.

City Hall

The city has a different "feel" to it than Krakow...and a different "look."








One of the great things about Wrocław is the rivers and the islands.



Megan headed across Most Tumski.

This is Wrocław's "Love Bridge" as evidenced by all the padlocks attached to it!



 On the North Side of the Oder River we saw:








We went to the Ethnographic Museum...at least it was marked on the map and mentioned in the guidebook as the Ethnographic Museum but when we got there it turned out to be basically a Wrocław History Museum. The collections were nicely arranged and it only took an hour or so...well worth the time...still wondering what happened to the Ethnographic Museum however...


Then Megan visited with some farm animals...


Another bonus to being in Wrocław was the better choice of ethnic restaurants (non-Italian).
We had good Indian food (!) at Masala
I hadn't realized how much I missed veggie samosas until I had one!

Saturday night we had great taquitos in a 13th century defensive tower now turned into a restaurant.

Finding Abram's Tower was a bit of challenge (directions were: enter the courtyard one gate down from the entrance to the Hala Targowa off of ul. Piaskowa and look for the tower. I kid you not.) If you are there try the Mexican ice-cream dessert. It is delicious!

Also found in Wrocław:

I made Jeff stop at the Chinese Shopping Center not far from our hotel because I just HAD to see what they had. It smelled like I was back in Hong Kong. In addition to the ginger candies they had industrial size soy sauce and bean paste...I restrained myself.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the playground...even I would to and play there!

    ReplyDelete