Tuesday, February 22, 2011

King Cake


So, we decided maybe we'd have another Mardi Gras Open House since it was so much fun when we did it in Russia several years ago.

I've ordered decorations and party stuff.
Including 3 gross of throw beads.
I don't mess around.

Staged the food -- I'm waiting on final RSVPs.
  Serious cooking preparation commences Thursday.

And yesterday, Megan (home from school sick) and I made a test King Cake.
From a box but there was no way I was making it from scratch.

Now, I said I'd make King Cake before realizing that my wee Euro oven might not accommodate the cake in terms of size. But I was not daunted.

This boxed stuff is great -- everything including the baby!
Just add water, egg and butter.

Megan kneading the dough.

Ready to go in the oven.
Ugly isn't it?
Not braided because it has praline filling.
Misshapen because I could not fit the oval on the cookie sheet. I had to cut it and cram it to fit the cookie sheet that will fit in the oven. Did I ever mention how small my oven is? I can barely get a 9" x 13" pan or cookie sheet in it.

After baking. Apparently yesterday my oven, notoriously wonky in terms of heating temperature, decided to cook warm. Hence a slighter browner than desired cake. Ack!

Decorations by Megan.

It took about 3 hours to make the cake. It was bloody cold out (and in) so I swear it took longer to rise.

It tasted amazing -- very very rich.

I have to make 2 more of these on Saturday. 


This was my back-up plan in case the cake didn't work out. 
I'm still making cupcakes for the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment