Thursday, January 26, 2012

Adventures in Gluten Free Baking

I found gluten free bread mix at the 'natural' food store and figured I would try it.
The packaged GF bread they have here is erm, not great. In fact, I would rather go breadless than eat it.
Shocking I know.

Besides, I figured it was time to get over my aversion to dealing with yeast.

Even dry, GF flour has a different texture.

Wet, GF flours are stickier and handle differently.
I was excited to use my new mixer with the bread hook attachments!


Ready to rise.
This took about twice as long as the package stated.
I blame it on the fact that it is winter and we've got typical European heat in the house. Which means put on a sweater because it is chilly.

Ready to be brushed with olive oil and put in the oven.

The instructions said to not open the door during the baking period.
This wasn't an option because my oven heats so unevenly -- the back is HOT and the front is not. The loaves would have been charred on one side and raw on the other.
So I had to turn the loaves and they deflated when I did so.
So sad.

One of the poor deflated loaves.
They tasted ok when they were fresh but after a day they weren't so great.
I think I'll try a couple mixes from the States and see if they are better.


I had much better luck with banana bread (used my usual recipe and just replaced the flour.)


My first foray into GF pizza crust (from a mix) was edible -- I made the crusts too thick and they were too doughy. Next time I will do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment